Friday, July 11, 2008

Children's Hermeneutics

The parents were awake but still in bed at 6:30am a few mornings ago. It was one of those slow-beginning mornings. First, Kyle comes to the door, sucking his two fingers and carrying his blanket. We let him come crawl in bed with us. Then Sarah came to the door. As we became a foursome, I quickly realized that Sarah was 50 steps ahead of us in waking up (giant steps, that is). She was carrying on about something--I was to drowsy at the time to remember what it was. I don't even remember what I tried to do at first to quiet her down. Whatever it was, it didn't work! So I decided to quote an appropriate Scripture to her: "Let every man be quick to hear; slow to speak." After my effective application of this Scripture to such a practical situation in family life, she leaned over top of me, and said (very slowly), "D-d-d-a-a-a-d-d-d-d-d-d-y-y-y!"

A six year old sincerely applying a very literal interpretation and achieving a very hilarious response.

No comments: