Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm the Principle!!!!!!!!! (Simplified)

I realize my last entry was a little detailed to the point that the punch line could be entirely missed. Here's a simplified version of our efforts to get our books in order.
-------------
The need: to know where to find any of our books easily without playing "Where's Waldo?"

The possible solutions: Dewey Decimal System (DDC), Library of Congress Classification System (LCC), nothing (our current system), boxes (also our current system)

The problem: The LCC and Dewey is complex. In trying to even figure out how it worked, we pulled a few sample books and looked in the front page. Some of our books had a LCC number printed in the book. That works! Some didn't. So, how do I find the LCC call number?

The solution: The Library of Congress has PDF files on their website of the general categories by which they classify books. These PDF files also go into further details since the general categories are quite broad.

The test: To test out the LCC system, I pulled a book--the ancient classic, Ovid's Metamorphoses. It was one of those that didn't have the LCC call number printed on the front page. I figured out where to put it generally--Section P "Literature". I knew though that I would have to find out where all the Greek authors go under section P. While trying to figure this out, I ran across this statement about an English edition of Ovid's Metamorphoses--"translated from Latin" (that was the punch line)!

Maybe my next post will try to simplify this even more--just trying make the simple complex.

5 comments:

Eve said...

Ahhh!

Ok so there's this thing called an alphabet, and I'd like, put the Metamorphosis book in the M's.

Just kidding. I'm probably still missing the Big Picture of how many books there really are.

wadeandbec said...

Eve,
The problem is that solution is entirely too simple and straightforward.... :) Actually, the big downside with alphabetical filing is that there's no grouping by subject. You just have to remember titles if looking for books on a particular subject.

Maybe a better solution would be for us to get rid of the umpteen scores of books we'll never read anyway and file the remaining 12 books alphabetically.

wadeandbec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oma Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oma Williams said...

Don't blame me for Wade's Analytical thinking and intelligence! He inherited his Father's brains, not mine!

Signed,
Wade's Mother