Monday, September 29, 2008

The Zoo Family @ the Zoo

I remember a few years ago, going to the zoo on a Memorial Day. That was a big mistake!!! We were bumping into other strollers trying to maneuver in the aquarium center, not to mention long lines at the ticket booth, crowded displays, etc....

We went to the same zoo last week on a rainy day. That was a big success!!! We basically had the zoo to ourselves (seriously, I think we ran across maybe 10 other groups of people our whole time there). At worst, it was a light drizzle which a few jackets and umbrellas took care no problem.





We even had our own tailgate party--we lowered the back seat of the van and spread out the blanket--Honda's are very handy with the back seat being lowered right in the trunk well. It was a great lunch, even with Lizzie constantly trying to crawl all over the place.

It was amazing to see many of God's creatures--each designed specifically and creatively. The variety of design and the superb excellence in certain features (like the fish with red spots on the tail to mimic eyes, or the chimpanizes whom we watched swing from rope to limb with their long arms and toes that curled to firmly grap a rope, or the surgeon fish who has a razor-sharp fin that flares out when provoked) were astounding. I always appreciate good designs when I see them--what can I say? I work in an engineering department. These good designs in nature all point to a good Designer! How thankful I am that I know that Designer and that He loves me.

2 comments:

BeckandDave said...

Is that the Greenville Zoo? I haven't been there in years, but we want to take Evan soon. It looks like you had fun "tailgating"! :-)

wadeandbec said...

It was actually at Riverbanks, which we like better than Greenville, because Riverbanks has animal demonstrations during the day (sea lion feedings, an aquarium dive, etc.).

Greenville is nice though, and they've added giraffes since we've been there last.