Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Books I'm Currently Reading


  • Daily Devotional New Testament (Alistair Begg, foreword); ESV daily devotional. We bought one for everyone (except Caleb), and we discuss together whenever we can, usually about once a week. We all have journals and try to write in them every day to remind us of what we want to share.  
  • Why Read Moby-Dick? By Nathaniel Philbrick...I went to the library to get Moby Dick, but it was checked out. Ran across this book, and had to get it because I had recently read another book by the same author, In the Heart of the Sea, a gripping history of the events on which Moby-Dick is based. 
  • Moby-Dick by Herman Melville...I haven't actually started it yet, but a friend from church loaned me a copy that has a foreword by Nathaniel Philbrick. 
  • The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick. A history of George Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Philbrick is so good...the opening line in the preface is, "It was, he later admitted, a 'rashly imprudent' act." Now how can you put the book down after reading that?? 
  • Joshua: No Falling Words by Dale Ralph Davis, one of my favorite commentators. His chapter titles reflect his engaging writing style, for example, the first two chapters are "The Promise of God and Four Funerals," and "How to Listen to a Shady Lady Story." I have never laughed while reading a commentary before. Not that you have to laugh. But he brings the Bible to life in a fresh way.
  • Praying the Bible by Donald S. Whitney. Christmas gift from the church this year. Excellent. I have always used Bible verses to pray, but this brings prayer to a new level for me. Really enjoying it! I have a notebook dedicated to rewriting passages of Scripture as prayers. 
  • Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman. Mr. Newman is a Jewish Christian, and he's not questioning whether we should evangelize, but rather suggesting that we should use more questions in our evangelism, like Jesus often did. He tells of a time that a "team of skeptics confronted [him]...during a weekly Bible study for freshmen guys that we held in a student's dorm room. ... 'So, I suppose you think all those sincere followers of other religions are going to hell!' 'Do you believe in hell?' I responded. He appeared as if he'd never seriously considered the possibility. He looked so puzzled... After a long silence, he said, 'No. I don't believe in hell. I think it's ridiculous.' Echoing his word choice, I said, 'Well, then why are you asking me such a ridiculous question?' I wasn't trying to be a wise guy. I simply wanted him to honestly examine the assumptions behind I shown question. His face indicated that I had a good point." Later Newman says, "From there, the discussion became civil for the first time, and serious interaction about God's holiness, people's sinfulness, and Jesus' atoning work ensued. Answering questions with questions turned out to be a more effective, albeit indirect, way to share the gospel." 
  • True confession is good for the soul. I am also reading a murder mystery. I love Agatha Christie and several other authors. I will spare you examples from those books.

---Becca

No comments: